architects   designers   planners

Wheeler Opera House

Aspen, Colorado
The Wheeler Opera House is a major component of the restoration of Aspen Colorado in the early 1980's.  The three-story, 1890 Richardsonian Romanesque structure was faithfully restored to its original appearance, as was the 550-seat theatre on the third floor.  Principal Edward D. Francis, FAIA, restored this theatre during his tenure with Kessler, Francis, Cardoza.

A full range of performing arts programs including opera, musical and dramatic theatre, chamber music, movies, lecture, dance and conference use were accommodated by redesign of the backstage areas and new theatre equipment.

Owner:           City of Aspen
Completed:    1984
Budget:          $4M
Final Cost:      $4M
Role:               Architecture, Interior Design