architects   designers   planners

Christ Church Detroit

Also known as Old Christ Church, Detroit
The oldest Protestant church in Michigan, Christ Church was designated a Michigan State Historic site in 1970.  Four buildings are located on this small urban site located  on East Jefferson neighboring the Renaissance Center, GM’s
Detroit Headquarters.

Construction began in the English Gothic Revival style by Master Architect Gordon W. Lloyd in 1860. The site includes the Sibley House, designed in the Greek Revival style, 1848; Ledyard Hall in
the Tudor style, 1924; and an office addition in 1957.

As Principal in Charge, Edward D. Francis, FAIA, implemented
a renovation and addition Master Plan that united all four structures, provided a new inviting south entry with a ramp for handicap accessibility, adapted the Sibley House for office functions and achieved code conformance.

This project was completed with JC Beal Construction.  Jones Lange LaSalle served as Owner’s Representative.


Project completed under GunnLevine Architects.